Tasks Undertaken
Level Loading/Streaming
- Fixed the link error related to level loading and streaming in the C++ class.

Graphics and Rendering
- Disabled Forward Shading for Teun's grass, resolving graphics issues.
- Created a mirror blueprint and added it to the ship.

Interactivity and Objects
- Enabled interactability for moving objects.
- Added interactability to the kitchen and bathroom, including placing models in the bathroom.
- Placed a TV screen (with video player) in the living room.

Spaceship Adjustments
- Re-imported L_Spaceship.
- Renamed Spaceship to BP_Spaceship.
- Removed shelf top.
- Moved the ship back to its original position.

Gameplay Mechanics
- Fixed lever issues and added automatic landing functionality.
- Lever can now be grabbed, but will not move until landing sequence starts automatically after a
   certain time.

Enemy AI Integration
- Imported enemy AI content from another test project.
- Integrated enemy AI into the VerticalSlice level.
- Added sound and damage system to the player in response to AI actions.
- Tweaked errors to ensure AI works seamlessly in this project.
- Made small fixes for damage to the AI.
- Enhanced enemy attack speed.

Technical Adjustments
- Fixed spine error in the Mannequin control rig.
- Removed UE4 Project Renamer.

- Recorded materials for the trailer.
- Organized social media and worked on related posts.
- Attended Immersive Tech Week in Rotterdam.
Double Diamond
In the initial phase of the week, I delved into discovering and understanding the key challenges and opportunities. I addressed issues related to level loading and streaming in the C++ class, resolving a link error that impeded seamless level transitions. Additionally, I disabled Forward Shading for Teun's grass, optimizing graphics performance.

After identifying and exploring the project's intricacies, I focused on defining a clear direction. I adjusted gameplay mechanics, fixing lever issues and implementing an automatic landing sequence, providing a smoother and more intuitive player experience (Figure 1). Simultaneously, I imported and integrated the Enemy AI from the test project into the VerticalSlice level, enhancing the project's overall gameplay dynamics.

With a well-defined vision, I transitioned into the development phase. I made various adjustments to the spaceship, re-importing L_Spaceship, renaming it to BP_Spaceship, and refining its positioning and components. I also prioritized interactivity and object placement, ensuring a more immersive environment by adding interactability to the kitchen and bathroom (Figure 2), placing models strategically, and introducing a TV screen in the living room.
On the technical front, I resolved errors in the Mannequin control rig's spine and streamlined the project by removing the UE4 Project Renamer. Moreover, I fine-tuned the enemy AI, incorporating sound and damage systems to enhance player engagement (Figure 3 & 4).

The final phase focused on delivering a polished and cohesive project. I optimized enemy attack speed, providing a more challenging and dynamic gaming experience. Beyond the technical aspects, I engaged in broader project activities, creating a mirror blueprint (Figure 5) and attended Immersive Tech Week in Rotterdam with the whole team (Figure 6). Simultaneously, I took strides in promoting the project, organizing social media content and recording materials for the trailer.
By following the Double Diamond method, I ensured a comprehensive and iterative approach, addressing issues systematically from discovery to delivery, ultimately resulting in a more refined and engaging week.
This week, most of my time was focused on adding interaction to props in the kitchen and bathroom. It was not a difficult task, but it took a lot of time creating the blueprints for them. For the damage system, I followed a tutorial video from the same guy that made the enemy AI. I incorporated that and adjusted it to our own needs. Adding the hearing and investigate function was done by trial and error.

- Tycho Tuitert: General feedback and discussions throughout the week.

- Creating the damage system: ​​​​​​​https://youtu.be/o3uFXnNxwKE?si=MZY7fpvZCjswL2o_
Reflections and Learning
This week, I spend most of my time working on the interaction in the spaceship. Especially in the kitchen and bathroom. The task was not very difficult, but it took some time to create all the different blueprints. Some required angle rotation, others physics constraints. It took some trial and error to get them right, especially the hand sockets, but it all works perfectly now.
Creating the mirror was a bit of a challenge, I eventually decided to link a camera to a render texture, and project the render texture on the material of the mirror. After some testing and messing around with the UV, it worked perfectly. For performance optimization, I added a trigger collider that will turn the mirror on or off according if there is a player in the bathroom.

Figure 1 - Showcase of the linked hyperspace and landing sequence

Figure 2 - Showcase of the interactive ship interior

Figure 3 - Damage System Component

Figure 4 - Handle Sensed Sound function in the AI Controller

Figure 5 - Scene view of the mirror (notice the camera)

Figure 6 - Team picture at Immersive Tech Week

Other projects